An emergency summit is to be held with the aim of finding industry-led solutions to the threat of Chafer Grubs and Leatherjackets in the turf industry.
The Summit will take place on 9th May 2019 at Burton Albion Football, Staffordshire.
Attendance at this industry summit is vital to those in the industry that want to develop a long-term preventative strategy for Chafer Grubs and Leatherjackets.
Now that many of the chemicals which were routinely used to keep golf courses and sports pitches free of pests have been withdrawn, we need to find alternatives. This Summit will explore the current challenges in sustaining turf quality in a chemical-free environment.
Without proper preparation and action prior to May this year, there is a high risk of increased attack by Chafer Grubs and Leatherjackets. Many grounds personnel are unaware of a problem until they see evidence - such as birds picking insect larvae by uprooting the dead grass. However, prevention is better than a cure and scientifically-developed natural pest control solutions when applied in advance will help control the problem.
This event is supported by Bionema, Rigby Taylor, Maxstim, EcoSpray and E. Marker A/S and is held in association with The IOG, BIGGA and Horticultural Week magazine.
Dr Minshad A Ansari, Founder and CEO of Bionema, said: “This summit is the first step in working together as an industry - pooling our knowledge and using all the tools we have in an integrated way to achieve control of these devastating pests”
This emergency Summit will include:
- Welcome and Introduction - Dr Minshad Ansari, CEO Bionema/Karen Maxwell, The IOG/Jim Croxton - CEO, BIGGA/Sally Drury, Horticulture Week
- Current pest and disease management in the UK: The push towards integrated approaches - Professor John Moverley, Amenity Forum, UK
- Major turf pests and diseases - Dr Kate Entwistle, The Turf Disease Centre, UK
- Rising threats of plant parasitic nematodes in turf - Colin Fleming, Agri Food and Biosciences Institute
- Biology of Chafers and Leatherjackets - Dr Minshad Ansari, Bionema
- The role of Biostimulants in turf management and root development - Richard Salvage, Maxstim
- The natural solution for pest and disease control - Philip Charlton Smith, CEO, EcoSpray
- Current products and their application: Do they interfere? - Peter Corbett, Rigby Taylor
- Natural solutions to control of Chafer Grubs and Leatherjackets: How do they work? - Dr Minshad Ansari, Bionema
- Chafer traps: A natural device to monitor Chafer Beetle populations - Peter Corbett, Rigby Taylor
- Synergy between Chemical & Biological solutions - Carsten Marker, E. Marker, Denmark
- Case study 1: Chafer Grub control at the Grove - Phillip Chiverton, Golf Course & Estate Manager at the Grove, UK
- Case study 2: Leatherjacket control at Neath Golf Club - Mark Tucker, Head Greenkeeper, Neath Golf Club, UK
The event will establish the true extent of the problem faced by the turf and amenity sector, offer a better understanding of the pests and the current controls available. It will culminate in an interactive debate, chaired by The IOG, BIGGA and Horticultural Week editors to help plan the next steps for the industry to take to combat the pest threat. The Summit will conclude with an insight into research and development into the control of Chafer Grubs and Leatherjackets in turf and amenity sector by Dr Minshad Ansari from Bionema.
Attendance is FREE, but spaces are limited so please book early
to avoid disappointment contact. Please contact Matt Rogers firstname.lastname@example.org – +44 (0) 7786991146