The Amenity Forum is running a series of free ‘Meeting the Challenge’ updating events at venues across the UK to address topical issues of relevance to everyone in the amenity sector.
With short presentations by speakers from the Chemicals Regulation Division of HSE, BASIS Registration, the National Sprayer Testing Service, STRI, host organisations and the Amenity Forum, each half-day event will cover:
- Policy update: What is the National Action Plan? How is it impacting upon the sector? What are the challenges and opportunities?
- Effective and efficient use of chemicals for weed, pest and disease control: Pesticide use is under the spotlight and its use controlled. This emphasises the need for efficient and timely application. What are the key elements in ensuring your sprayer equipment is set correctly for optimum use? What are the routine checks essential and the legal requirements for sprayer testing?
- Operating at best practice standards and training needs: What are Amenity Assured standards and why and how should we apply them? What are the benefits of continuous professional development and why is our attitude to training so important going forward?
- A review of current issues impacting our sector: Weed, pest and disease management, focusing on current issues and providing an update on how the sector needs to respond. Integrated control is key going forward. How do we do this and what alternatives to chemical control are available to us? How do we better communicate the importance of what we do?
The IOG is a strong supporter of the Amenity Forum and this year, in conjunction with BIGGA, is co-hosting three of the events. While all events are relevant to anyone in the sector, these three will have a particular focus on matters of specific interest to BIGGA and IOG members. The events will also provide a great opportunity for networking, with time for questions and discussion.
- 1 March: Darrington Golf Club, Pontefract
- 6 March: Lantra, Stoneleigh, near Coventry
- 14 March: Parks for London, London SE1
- 20 March: Hosted by the IOG, Forest Green Rovers, near Stroud, Gloucestershire
- 21 March: Green Park, Reading
- 22 March: Throws Farm, Essex
- 27 March: Hosted by BIGGA, Alne near York
- 29 March: Hosted by BIGGA, Cold Ashby Golf Club, Northamptonshire
- 10 April: SRUC, Edinburgh
- 11 April: Ramside Hall Hotel and Golf Club, Darlington
- 19 April: Budleigh, Devon.