Arsenal Football Club, Hale End Youth Academy, London
Deputy Head Grounds Person
Responsible for the preparation and running of the Emirates Stadium and wider facilities at other locations for all events and functions. Department remit includes property and facilities management, spectator safety at events, wider Health and Safety matters.
To assist the head grounds person in the day to day maintenance and general upkeep of the Arsenal Youth Academy Hale End.
• Effective management of all grounds activities to consistently achieve the recognised standards and availability to satisfy both the Club and its end users (e.g. coaches, players, etc.) requirements.
• Management of Daily tasks in the absence of the Head Grounds person.
• Assist the Head Grounds person in the management of sports and amenity surfaces for the end user. This will include hand and ride on cutting of grass, strimming around trees, sprinklers, hand digging borders, spreading composts, incorporating into soil, leaf clearing, sweeping up hard standing areas, pruning shrubs, disposing of cuttings and debris, hand weeding sensitive areas around plants where chemical control is not permitted etc.
• Monitoring and registration of all maintenance schedules.
• Good knowledge of the Health and Safety regulations in the area of responsibility.
• Communication with coaching staff with regard to pitch rotation.
• Manage and check facilities, plant, buildings and equipment to ensure safe working practices and Health and Safety legislation compliance.
• Management of all equipment so that it is correctly stored, maintained and serviced.
• Conduct basic risk assessment, assist in developing contingency plans and be able to respond to emergencies. Actively promote safe practices of self and others.
• Gather and record information to develop trend data and analyse past usage. Make recommendations for improving the best use of resources and playing surfaces.
• Wide use of machinery in renovation of grass area - use of turf cutters - edgers, scarification, seeding, stone buriers and seeders.
• Grass cutting and strimming around ball stopping nets.
• Pedestrian and ride on grass cutters on football pitchers and surrounds.
• Watering plants and other associated areas with hand held equipment.
• Marking out pitches.
• Assisting in the renovation of pitches using equipment associated with this process e.g. tractor and trailer work, sand spreading.
• Helping out with deliveries, manual handling of bags of sand, sand soil, fertilizer bags, seed bags ranging from 20-25kg.
• Cleaning equipment stores and associated washdown areas.
• Replacing ball stop netting plus associated wiring and steel cables.
• Ad hoc duties as and when required.
Main Job Requirements and Person Specification:
• To be NVQ Level 3 or above in green keeping and groundsmanship or equivalent. In the absence of qualifications at least 5 years’ experience would be necessary in the grounds keeping industry.
• Spraying certificates PA1, 2 and 6 would also be an advantage.
• Be experienced in being able to use a wide range of turf care equipment i.e. cylinder mowers, ride on mowers, scarification equipment plus a wide range of renovation equipment, as well as hedge cutters, strimmers and all equipment associated with amenity landscapes.
• Experience of managing teams of operatives, planning and organising workloads, allocating duties, monitoring performance and Health and Safety Issues.
• Previous experience in all aspects of grounds keeping, not only on playing surfaces but amenity landscapes as well.
• Competent IT skills.
• Competent management and maintenance of irrigation systems.
• Prior experience of carrying out other duties in relation to the general upkeep of the training facility.
• To be able to work not only as part of a team, but also to show the capabilities to work using your own initiative, with the ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the latest health and safety legislation especially when using equipment.
• Mechanical knowledge would also be an advantage i.e. dealing with mower breakdowns and routine maintenance on equipment.
• Have a good mechanical knowledge of equipment and be able to assist when necessary in jobs in and around the workshop that require being undertaken, jobs include helping change blades and routine maintenance of equipment.
• Be able to have a flexible attitude in carrying out other duties in relation to the general upkeep of the training facility.
• Working to a high standard in looking after sports turf and amenity landscapes.
• Be physically fit enough to deal with the manual and physical demands of the job such as the manual handling of deliveries such as bags of material and various weights.
• Have a meticulous approach to work when attention to detail is essential along with good communication skills when dealing with members of staff along with coaching staff.
• Ability to use a wide range of turf care equipment i.e. cylinder mowers, triple and five unit mowers, scarification equipment plus a wide range of renovation equipment.
• Enjoy working to a high standard and have a flexible attitude, especially in terms of the unsocial hours that might be necessary.
• A passion or empathy with sports/sports entertainment.
Please use this link www.arsenaljobs.com
Arsenal FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Hours of work will be Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm and this role may require evening and weekend work.
Friday, 23 February 2018 - 11:45pm
Competitive salary dependent on skills, experience and qualifications
London & East