Blundell's School, Devon
An experienced gardener is required to work as part of the grounds team. Maintaining the fine turf lawns, borders, floral displays, trees and gardens on this c110 acre site. You will join the team of 7 staff and report directly to the Head of Grounds.
• Work safely and in accordance with the Health & Safety Management System,
• Undertake risk assessments, COSHH assessments and method statements to cover all aspects of work,
• Design and maintain planted displays, input into the strategic landscape masterplan,
• Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation and planting,
• Organising & managing Speech Day floral displays for the Prep and Senior School’s,
• Organising and maintaining hanging baskets and main entrance tubs around the site,
• Lawn maintenance and cultivation,
• The use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery and plant,
• The use of plant equipment and tractors,
• The use of cylinder and rotary mowers, strimmer’s, leaf blowers,
• Adjustments of mower height and quality of cut, etc. Oil level checks and check for damage to any mower,
• To respond to emergencies and assist other departments,
• To apply chemicals where appropriate,
• To undergo training as required,
• To keep the gardens, thoroughfares and highway footpaths clear and free from litter at all times,
• To undertake any reasonable duties associated with the role.
Grounds are responsible for all external areas on behalf of the School, the site dates from the 1800’s and has numerous sports facilities and grounds and gardens. The task is to prioritise external maintenance to maximise the impact for students and visitors and to display the site at the highest standard possible. This particular role requires demonstrable experience of a Horticultural background to a very high standard.
The Gardener will have contact with all levels of staff including senior management, external partners, and with contractors and suppliers. A good level of physical fitness and attention to detail is needed.
1. Proven and demonstrable experience grounds and gardens.
• Qualified to City and Guilds Level 2 in Horticulture
• Experience of working in Schools / Colleges or Universities (Education environment)
2. Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to:
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the School community and other Bursarial teams.
• Take instruction from the Head of Grounds and Estates Bursar and prioritise work accordingly.
3. The ability to:
• Understand the statutory health and safety requirements
• Possess a full clean driving licence
• Drive Tractors and mowers and use strimmer’s, leaf blowers and gardening tools
• Physically fit and able to work outside for long periods and in all weathers (uniform provided).
• The ability to work to time pressures and adjust priorities as needed.
1. Possess a Horticultural qualification (at least City and Guilds Level 2)
2. Pesticide (Knapsack) qualification PA6
3. Chainsaw qualification NPTC
4. IT literate.
5. Experience of preparing risk assessments
6. Health and Safety trained in either: manual handling, working at height, noise awareness, fire safety, and COSHH
Monday to Friday 08:00 – 16:30 Saturdays (1 in 3) 08:00 – 12.30
Thursday, 30 November 2017 - 12:00pm
23,184 – 24,769 (DOE)
South West England