BASIS AMENITY COURSES
To complement our range of pesticides courses for NPTC certification, as from January 2011, we are able to offer the full Amenity suite of BASIS pesticide qualifications;
1. BASIS Certificate in Amenity for Field Sales and Technical Staff who provide advice on pesticide choice, timing, doses etc,
2. BASIS Environmental Management Certificate (Amenity). This replaces the old BASIS POWER course.
3. BASIS Foundation Award (Amenity), for those who need a broad understanding of pesticides but do not require the full certificate, and the new
The last two courses are of especial interest to users of the IOG website. All these courses offer BASIS CPD points for members of the BASIS Professional Register and if required can also be used for NRoSO (National Register of Sprayer Operators) CPD points.
Ian Gower, the Principal Instructor on all the courses, is a BASIS Approved Instructor as well as a Member of the BASIS Professional Register. He is also the Amenity Horticulture Representative on the BASIS Professional Matters Committee. Our other instructor, Paul Bannister, is a Member of the BASIS Professional Register and a City & Guilds NPTC pesticides examiner.
Individual Course Details
BASIS Environmental Pesticide Management (Amenity)
This course is suitable for groundsmen, greenkeepers, contract specifiers, managers, foremen and supervisors of Amenity situations where pesticides are used. It covers the knowledge required to properly supervise and understand pesticide use and application. It can also act as a useful refresher course for someone who already has NPTC pesticides certification by discussing actual pesticides and their application.
Candidates achieving this qualification will have the knowledge and understanding to make sure pesticides are used in a way which protects the wider environment whilst achieving the necessary levels of weed, pest and disease control.
The course is of 3 days duration. A multiple-choice assessment will be held during the afternoon on the final day.
The syllabus of the course comprises five modules.
• Module 1. Integrated Pest Management
• Module 2. Interpretation of Legislation
• Module 3. Managing Application of Pesticides
• Module 4. Protection of Water
• Module 5. Environmental Protection
BASIS Foundation Award (Amenity)
This course is designed for people who have a need to understand more about pesticides, how they work and why they are needed.
The Foundation Award in Amenity Horticulture is split into two separate components:
1) The Foundation Award in Amenity Horticulture – Hard/Permeable Surfaces
2) The Foundation Award in Amenity Horticulture – Turf and Borders
The course includes a short examination at the end of 3 days tuition. Those candidates who achieve the pass level will receive written recognition from BASIS of their achievement but this course does not result in a BASIS certificate of competence.
For candidates wishing to take a second exam to achieve both components of the Award, they will need to allow an additional 1½ days tuition/exam time.